Wednesday, April 13, 2011

We'll Call it "The Green Room"


There's a movie made several years ago called "The Big Chill." I haven't seen it the whole way through yet, unfortunately, but my mom swears by it as one of her favorite movies. The movie is about a group of friends gathering together for a funeral after being separated for a long time and reconnecting. I think. Like I said, I haven't seen it from beginning to end. Anyway, whenever my mom has it on, she talks about how she saw it with her friends and said that that is what they would be like as adults. She even pointed out the characters that matched with her friends.

This rang very closely home to me. I've never had as close friends as I've had from Verot, and I think it's important that we've been able to stay pretty well connected. Even when we do meet after a while, like with Chez, we just snap back into our old ways. I really love that about all of us, and I hope it doesn't change.

Anyway, I want to know where OUR "Big Chill" is. God knows there were loads of them in the 80s, but we don't have our own modern movie about young adult life. It bothers me that the closest we get to these is "Superbad" or "Mean Girls," because those aren't movies we can all relate to. I'm talking movies about groups of friends, not conflict. I think the only movie that got semi-close was "Easy A," but I think we can do better. Each of us has gone through enough to get ourselves movies, I don't see why we haven't got one yet.

7 comments:

  1. I am curious....how does Easy A apply to your life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really looking forward to this answer :D hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. You misunderstood. I'm talking about a slice-of-life type of movie about young adults, not specifically me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH. Shelby and I were sitting here laughing wondering if you were parading yourself around as a whore.

    and I mean your are both ginger? <3

    but I know what you are saying, a lot of our movies dont really focus on a group of good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm this is true! Breakfast Club would have been good for the 80s, but I can't really think of one for nowadays.. except for like.. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants or Boy Meets World.. which isn't a movie at all, but still.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But even Boy Meets World wasn't exactly our moment... but that's a better example that I should have put in.

    ReplyDelete