Saturday, April 23, 2011

"All of time and space, anything that ever happened or ever will. Where do you want to start?"


In Christmas of 2009 I was home alone. My parents, who had recently gotten together after being separated, were out doing some things and getting food. It had been a really rough year, starting college the least of the stresses. I was feeling good, but not so good as I had been what felt like many years ago.

I was sitting in my room, cold and pretty emotionally exhausted, looking for something to put on television. On the guide, I saw a show called "Doctor Who" was on. The name struck a chord. "Doctor Who" is one of the most troped shows on TVTropes, meaning that if you look at one random trope, the possibilities are good that it's listed. This, funny enough, annoyed me. "How good could this show be? Seriously?" So, I turned it on. The episode was called "Midnight" and featured the tenth Doctor on a broken ship with an alien force possessing people on board. It was weird, it was creepy, but most of all, it was interesting. What followed were end of season episodes, meaning I didn't fully understand what was happening, but I couldn't stop watching. I was almost moved to tears, and literally raised my arms in the air with victory when things went well.

There was one particular part in the show where all of the Doctor's old friends were helping him pilot the TARDIS through space. They were cheering, the music was roaring, and it was brilliant. Even now, I have a smile on my face thinking about it. That was the moment when I knew I was hooked on this show. That was when I knew that it was absolutely brilliant. That was the happiest I had been in so very long.

Thankfully Netflix had all the seasons of "Doctor Who" available for streaming, so I started watching and catching up. There were some amazing episodes, some good episodes, and a smattering of crappy episodes. BBC America showed the series once a day so I could have my daily dose. I knew the references, the jokes, the characters, the storylines.

I cried (well not really, but you know what I mean) when Ten finished his time on the show, and started laughing hysterically when Eleven appeared right after. Then season five, Eleven's first season, premiered. I've heard the show described as a dark, modern fairy tale. I think that might be the most accurate description of the show I've heard of. Time for cheesiness, but this is truly what I think: this show is magical. Honest to God, pure, idealistic, happy magic. It's beautiful, it's funny, it's sad, it's dramatic, it's spiritual, it's ridiculous, it's maddening and the most logical thing on television.

But the best thing about it? I feel like a kid again when I watch it. The only thing comparable was when I stepped into Harry Potter World. I literally feel ten again, like anything could happen, that the world isn't so bad. I forget my worries and just indulge in its magnificence. It's one of the worlds that I wish I could live in. It's realistic while still having goodness. It's how I still feel young. I would say it's even responsible for getting me out of my hole of depression. You know how I act silly and happy sometimes? Blame this show.

"Doctor Who" is pure happiness, and that's why I love it.

7 comments:

  1. Yup, this can easily be compared to how I feel about Miyazaki movies <3 You weren't exaggerating when you made that claim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was almost hesitant to read for fear of spoilers, but I suppose just knowing what I know already from what you've told me, I have a vague idea of the ending :C

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did cry. like a baby. wet sloppy sobbing. <3

    this was a beautiful post tyler <3 It was quite evident watching this with you the joy it gioves you :D It made me giddy and smiley :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw thanks Ashley! Yeah, this is one of the few things I get openly giddy about. I can't help it!

    ReplyDelete