Monday, March 14, 2011

"I've Got the Plains"


"August: Osage County" was one of the best plays I've ever seen. Granted, that's a very small pool, but it was absolutely phenomenal. The acting, the set, the lighting, all of it was amazing. The plot, though. That really got me.

I think, unfortunately, we can pick out one character from that play that fits somebody in our families. I've known the plot and the characters there all too well, but seeing it on stage was so... liberating. Haunting, to see something so close to reality, but so liberating. It's like my past was put on the altar of the stage and sacrificed so that I could be a little bit more free.

I'm going to see it again. I've got to.

6 comments:

  1. glad you enjoyed it! I usually don't go for dark comedies nor familial plays, but I figured if anyone would like the play, it'd be you :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree it was super refreshing seeing such a realistic portrayal of family life, granted these were extremes, its was really moving. I enjoyed this show so much. It was long days journey with actual heart and meat to it for me. i felt i knew this characters as opposed to only getting a glance at them. The connection anyone can draw to their own home life is definitely one of its greatest attributes :) Hope you enjoy it again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee, thanks Jessica :-p

    And Ashley I totally agree with everything you just said. I definitely thought it was a 21st century Long Days Journey Into Night, but far more personal and vivid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore LDJIN and A Lion in Winter if that's any consolation <3 this one was just a tad too dark and depressing for my taste =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really jess? you liked LDJIN, ive been meaning to read or find an opportunity to see A Lion in Winter, but i couldnt stand LDJIN. I actually found this show far superior in the way it portrayed emotion. LDJIN was just too much of a window to a fragment of their lives, where this show was right up in them. But maybe I just dont like Eugine O'Neil, except for the fact that the theater named after him was where Spring Awakening was on Broadway <3 hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha yeah I liked it, mainly because we only got to see them through a window. While I enjoy hopeless cases when it comes to family life, seeing the VAST amount of people in August: Osage County who were so horribly damaged is just too much for my naive heart to bear. Reading the script itself, not knowing how the characters would portray themselves, tore me up whenever I read Violet's lines, just because it hit a tiny bit close to home.

    I will say though, that Bev's whole opening scene seemed like it would be PHENOMENAL to watch. For me, that was my favorite part from the whole thing <3

    ReplyDelete