Friday, June 3, 2011

Day 9: Favorite Childhood Movie


My earliest movie memory is walking into the family room of our house and seeing my family watch Jurassic Park. I remember hiding behind my grandma because I was too scared to watch some of it, but lots of it I did see. From that moment until I was 14 I loved Jurassic Park. I was obsessed with it. Literally. Lots of people say they were obsessed with something, but I was seriously obsessed with this film. I must have watched it at least 200 times in my entire life. I had the toys (still do, stowed away), the games (still do), t-shirts (at least one is in my closet, I think), the book (so crinkled from reading too much it's almost falling apart), and photos of me at Jurassic Park at Islands of Adventure (lots are on the walls of my house). I even had a Jurassic Park clock at one point.
I've mentioned before how this movie touched off my love of Spielberg and cinema, but it also drove me to creative heights that I would not have had otherwise. I said yesterday how those three films series made me into who I am. This one film may have had the greatest effect.
I remember waking up one day at 14 no longer having a strong interest in the film. I can't say it's particularly sad, but, like so many other things, it was an adventure 65 million years in the making that came to a close.

2 comments:

  1. that is sad that you're not as obsessed with it! If I said I never saw this, would you freak out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not at all surprised by this.
    I think it is wonderful that a film had such a positive impact on your life <3

    ReplyDelete