Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 15: Favorite Season-themed Movie


Torn between this and Christmas Vacation, I have to choose It's a Wonderful Life. This movie is always played in my house at Christmas time, and with good reason. It's a really heartwarming film, but I didn't appreciate it until just recently.
There was a time in my life when I felt like I gave and gave without ever receiving anything in return. I felt like I had tried to be everyone's best friend, and yet no one was my best friend. I needed a best friend that year, because I felt very alone.
It was near Christmas, and this was airing on NBC. I'd always liked it, but never loved it, thinking it was too sappy or something. Watching the third act of the movie, where George Bailey contemplates the worst, and is shown a vision of a life without him, I felt a sense of familiarity. Thankfully not suicide, but seeing what life would be like if I wasn't in it. At the end, when George is with his family, and all of the people he helped in his life walked into his house to give him money to keep him from jail, I felt a tear come to my eye. Then, when he read the note left by his guardian angel, I felt another tear.
It was one of those moments that helped me appreciate the life I have now. I'm so lucky to have such wonderful friends who I'd do anything for.

2 comments: