Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day 28: Last DVD Purchased


I love a western. I don't know why. I never pretended to be a cowboy when I was little. In fact I was pretty ambivalent about the old west until a few years ago. I don't know what got me invested into it, but I really like westerns now. Not that I'd say they're one of my favorite genres, but I'll go through kicks where I'm just in the mood for one. I'd say True Grit was one of the best westerns in the past ten years. I'd compare it to my other favorite, Unforgiven, but it's almost a little unfair to do that. While they both paint realistic portraits of life back then, Unforgiven is given more of an air of symbolism and metaphor, like it is meant to be criticized. True Grit is an excellent story, but captures a more real and gritty view of the time period. I'd say I'd prefer this version over the John Wayne incarnation, though that is also a good film.
Also, the way they talk in this film is infectious and begging to be imitated. It's not "mosey on down," it's very drawn out and sophisticated, though what is being said is usually crude.

No comments:

Post a Comment