Monday, May 2, 2011

What a Day


Even though I spent most of my day lounging about, I ended up totally passed out after taking Ben to the vet. Don't worry, he had a few minor things wrong but he's now on meds to take care of them :-)

Every time I take Ben to his vet I pass by my old house. My old house has some of the best memories of my youth in there, and I really really miss it. The house I live in now has been in my family since my grandparents moved here before I was born. I've literally spent my entire life associated with this house. But my old house, which is on Burning Tree and is thus always known as the Burning Tree house, is the house which I think of as home.

We moved in when I was in the first grade. I remember it was a rainy day, we got Burger King for breakfast, and I was watching Arthur. I also remember the day we moved out: it was sunny, one of the last days of the sixth grade, and I had just my mattress and this old TV as the only things left in my room before it was all taken away. I really spent the last golden days of my youth in that house. It was small, but cozy. I have one particular moment from that house that I remember clearly. I had my Lego Magazine and was looking on the back cover to complete some contest. Inside was a set about the podrace scene from The Phantom Menace. I remember looking outside and seeing just this beautiful blue summer sky. It was brilliant and alive, and it was at that moment that I felt really young and fresh and happy.

I miss those days of innocent youth. I wish I could have them again.

8 comments:

  1. 1. Ben <3

    2. Burning Tree has to be the best name for a road ever!

    3. It's memories like that which keeps us going forward so we can make even more greater ones =] and while childhood is fleeting, the feelings that accompany it such as excitement, wonder, and appreciation never have to go away. Age is just a number and the moment you break away from having your age hold you back from something is the day you start living <3

    BAM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely comment! Yeah, in recent months I've tried to look on life that way again, but few things can compare to the real deal during childhood, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get what you're saying! :P It's only going to get more "mature" and "responsible" from here on out, so we might as well make the most of our youth now :D #silverlining #brightside

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, but that's also somewhat depressing. That's like saying this is the best it's going to get D-: #FridgeHorror

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad still acts like a teenager, so I'm pretty sure life is still good in the 40s! You has nothing to worry about :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww that was beautiful <3

    even as a little boy, you could truly appreciate the earth's beauty :)

    It is sad how much we long to relive those days of innocence. But they are innocent days for a reason, we are not supposed to understand there importance when we are young. We can still keep our childlike essence though, it doesn't have to leave us.The only one who can stop that is yourself.

    But glad to see if one of these days I ask you to play a game of kick the can, you will join me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I guess I won't be the crotchety old man who's telling you to stop after all ;-)

    And that was lovely, thanks Ashley.

    ReplyDelete