Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Apathetic and the Passionate


L.A. Noire is the shit. It's classic hard boiled detective stuff, and it's brilliant. And difficult. People are hard to read.
So today was Spellamania for the class of 2011. It's always surreal going back to Verot, but this was surreal times two. It's so familiar, seeing all the little seniors so excited, and even the underclassmen so small and, in the case of the freshmen, nervous. It was also a little sad because I felt mostly ambivalent towards the whole thing. For a moment, right at the beginning, I felt that nostalgic rush. But then it was gone, and I felt like an outsider. Even with Jessica and Kaitlin there it still felt uncomfortable. As Jessica said, "it's THEIR time," which is true. Even so, the whole even didn't feel like mine anymore. In fact, the school barely felt like mine anymore. Elmeer was there and she was wonderful, the hallways in the Santini center still smelled and looked the same, but I felt divorced from the place. As much as my nostalgia goggles affect me, this is the one time I can say "THE GOGGLES! THEY DO NOTHING!"
Bishop Verot isn't mine anymore. It was for four years, but that was a chapter that I've since moved on from. I'll always cherish the memories, but outside of theatre, everything else is gone. It hurts to write that, that I've moved on without even knowing. Yet it's something I can make my peace with. It's not the destination that matters, it's the journey. I can truly say that was one of the most exhausting, satisfying, and overall wonderful journeys of my life. I'm glad that the most important people from that journey are still in my life today.

4 comments:

  1. Awwww. I truly adored this post <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. this post is very adorkable and I hope you take that for a compliment! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya on the most important people sticking around. I realized last night that, yeah, it's the people, not the place--even though the place is a lasting reminder of all the wonderful things that happened with those people there.

    ReplyDelete