Friday, October 28, 2011

A Time to Breathe


Today, I got to do nothing for the first time in ages. I caught up on Community and Parks and Recreation, watched American Horror Story (disturbing as fuck), and watched the pilot for Once Upon a Time, which was really cute. Weirdly, there were parts of it that just gave me a huge, horrid burst of sadness.

The whole plot of the show is that fairy tale characters like Snow White, Prince Charming, Rumplestiltskin, and the rest, have been cursed by the evil queen from "Snow White" to living some place horrible, a terrible, awful place where there are no happy endings: real life. That just made me come close to shedding actual tears. I honestly couldn't figure out at the time, but I think I know why now.

I'm sure I've talked about how I thrust myself into fantasy worlds like Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc. because they are escapes from reality. That show kind of took that view from the stories we escape to: real life is horrible, and someplace we never want to deal with. I think that's true, especially now. Not so much that it's horrible, but... in comparison to fairy tales, life is just awful. Having gone through so much stress and worry as of late, I can agree with that assessment.

I read Storm of Swords, had a McRib (disappointing), and watched A Clockwork Orange, which was really good. Funny, for a movie that got so much flack in the 70's for being horribly disturbing (and it is unsettling at points), stuff like American Horror Story freak me out more.

I'm really excited to see Ashley and Jessica tomorrow. We haven't hung out here in a while, so it should be fun.

Also, I fucking love this song. Canada rules.

2 comments:

  1. The McRib used to be awesome when I was little - maybe because I didn't know what delicious foods existed in the world, but I haven't had one since way back when!

    Was American Horror Story interesting? I want to watch it since Ryan Murphy & Brad created it, but I can't handle horror :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you've had Chick-fil-a, everything else pales in comparison.

    It's interesting, but, like I said, it's disturbing. I'd even say more disturbing than scary, though it does have its scares. I'm shocked the creator is the same Ryan Murphy. They're just so completely, entirely different.

    ReplyDelete