Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Rambling about synths and nostalgia


There's something about the synths at the beginning of this song that make me nostalgic. They're very ethereal, and they remind me of the old fantasy cartoons I watched as a kid. The ones they made back in the early to mid 80s, with the cheap animation quality. They told dark stories but made them kid friendly, and they used synth music like this, because it was the 80s and everything used synth. I wish I could think of an example but I really can't. In fact it's a little difficult to explain now. The closest I can come to is The Black Cauldron but I don't think I saw it until a few years ago.
Anyway, it's one of those things that make me think back to fantasy in childhood, which helped form my love of fantasy in young adulthood to the present.

2 comments:

  1. OMG. YOU'VE SEEN THE BLACK CAULDRON?!

    you are one of the few people I've known that has seen that movie :D

    By the way, I have no idea where you find this music.. I'm sure you'll say some hipster satellite radio station, but even then.. how do they find it. It's a never-ending paradox!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once, like 2 or 3 years ago, and I was only half paying attention. But I'd totally watch it again. #Disneyathon.
    You are correct, I heard it from my hipster satellite radio station. They hear it from music journalists or bloggers, who are told by people in charge of the bands.

    ReplyDelete